Friday, May 16, 2014

Too new

Diabetes Life Hacks - Friday 5/16
Share the (non-medical) tips and tricks that help you in the day-to-day management of diabetes.  Tell us everything from clothing modifications, serving size/carb counting tricks to the tried and true Dexcom-in-a-glass trick or the “secret” to turning on a Medtronic pump’s backlight when not on the home-screen (scroll to the bottom of this post). Please remember to give non-medical advice only! (Thank you Rachel of Probably Rachel and Kelley of Below Seven for this topic suggestion.)


I think we are still so new to this that life hacks (tips and tricks) seems pretty foreign.  We've started to feel a little more comfortable with making decisions (such as leaving out 45 carbs as opposed to the typical 15 when we get together with our friends to try and prevent what seems to be an inevitable low no matter how high he is when he starts) but we aren't on a pump, don't have a CGM, and pretty much shots are straightforward.  I do love my PerfectPortions scale and my frio pack.  The pens are easier than the syringes.  We're getting pretty good at guesstimating carbs and love restaurant aps for our phones!   And Sugar Bear is pretty easy going when it comes to shots and finger pokes.  He's a tough little bear.  Hmmm, this all makes it seem like a bed of roses but roses always have thorns.  We've made mistakes.  Even once completely missing an after dinner bolus and then panicking about what to do about it.  I still hold my breath before I pull the needle out but seem to be able to stomach the wet shots better.  We have less wet shots, which is great.  I still panic about whether he's sleeping because he's tired or because of a blood sugar issue.  I'm terrified to move him back to his own room which is upstairs by himself.  I felt like I was almost ready and then read about the 15 year old Plano, Texas teenager who passed away in her sleep due to hypoglycemia a little over a week ago.  I hate this disease so much, but get why our diabetes educator kept saying "new normal".  I think we're kind of there.  Life hacks will happen with the gadgets, but right now I think we've hacked the "new normal" in everyday life of approaching this as just part of what we do.  I'm more relaxed (I know
what I wrote at the top of this probably doesn't give that impression but I am).  I can actually enjoy a glass of wine at a friends house without too much worry.  I know I've got the resources and abilities to take care of my son.  And to educate him on taking care of himself.  By the way, he did his own BS check the other day from start to finish.  He got the alcohol prep out, wiped his finger, got the lancet ready, got the strip in the meter, clicked, got the bead of blood, held the meter to it without any coaching or prompts from us.  This from our little bear who told us he would never do his own testing when he was diagnosed.  I don't expect him to do it every time yet, he has his whole life to do that. I'm just so proud of the fact that he's got some of this figured out.  He's great at carb counting and 
totally remembers carbs on his favorite foods.  That's the life hack we're working on.  


1 comment:

  1. I think the 45 grams of carbs when with friends, the Frio pouch and the Perfect Portions are terrific hacks to pass along. Thank you for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete