Saturday, May 3, 2014

I Hope He's Alright

"Mom, that was really scary.  I hope that boy is okay.  I'll keep him in my prayers.  He was in his Mario pajamas and just ready to watch Spider-Man.  Do you think we helped him?" This is part of how our evening went.

We decided to go see Spider-Man at the drive-in tonight.  We'd all been looking forward to it.  The boys went a couple weeks ago sans me since I was sick.  This was my first trip to the drive-in this year and since Sugar Bear's diagnosis.

First was a visit to a neurologist for Goofy Teenager.  I had to leave work early in order to make sure he was there on time.  Diagnosis of post concussion headaches.  Yep, that's right.  No tests planned.  Next appointment in three months unless things get worse.  Some changes in his headache medicine and suggestions on diet and diary keeping, but overall not a bad visit.  Then home. Dinner.  And then out to the drive-in after procuring some special snacks (yup, cookies and beef bites, yum).

Heading out to the car Sugar Bear banged his knee on the side of the van and tears ensued.  Usually when he gets an owie we don't have tears.  So this definitely hurt and it made me think that staying home and an early bedtime might be the better way to go but instead I kissed  and held him and offered to go grab some ice from inside the house.  All better and we head out.

We get to the drive-in at 8:30.  Movie is supposed to start at 9.  I head to the bathroom and goofy teenager goes to the concession stand for a drink.  Hubby and Sugar Bear stay in the van.  I head back and so does goofy teenager.  We hang in the van for a few and the teenager needs to use the restroom.  While he's gone some guy comes to our van and says there is some kid in the bathroom having a seizure.  I'm about to test Sugar Bear so hubby goes to make sure our teenager is okay.  I test.  He's high so as I 'm prepping Sugar Bear's arm to give insulin the Goofy Teenager comes running up saying he needs the glucagon from the kit because some boy is having a diabetic seizure.  I hand it to
him and he runs off.  Within a few short minutes hubby is at the van and says they aren't going to use the glucagon but that the boy has definitely had a seizure and no one knows if he's high or low.  I grab the gel and tabs and have hubby give Sugar bear his shot while I hurriedly head out meeting the teenager coming back.  I tell him to come with me.  We head to the concession area (not the bathroom) and there is a boy (12 years old) on the floor with a blown up plastic glove under his head, a circle of people standing around him and two guys trying to wake him up.  I assess the situation and ask if anyone has a kit.  One woman says she tried to test him but he jerked his hand away.  I ask for the kit.  I talk to the man (his dad, Jeff) and find out the boy's name is Liam, he's 12, newly diagnosed  (within) last two weeks.  I test Liam all the while talking to him but not getting any response.  71.  Not really all that low.  I ask Jeff what Liam's range should be- same as Sugar bear's 80-150.   I ask when was the last time he ate-an hour to an hour and a half ago.  What was his BG?  120.  By this point paramedics are finally showing up and I tell Jeff my thoughts are with him and we head back to our van.  As we get there a woman is getting in her van and telling one of the people in the
neighboring vehicles that she's heading to the hospital for her diabetic son.  This all happened in less than a half an hour.  Twenty minutes.

Then the movie started.

Sugar Bear's BS were fine during the movie and we did the evening Lantus in the dark.  When we got home we had another half hour of raising his BS and testing so we could all go to sleep.

The quotes at the beginning were what my Goofy Teenager said before going to sleep.  Oh, and Spider-Man was good.

 "...what makes life valuable is that it doesn't last forever, what makes it precious is that it ends. I know that now more than ever. And I say it today of all days to remind us that time is luck. So don't waste it living someone else's life, make yours count for something. Fight for what matters to you, no matter what. Because even if you fall short, what better way is there to live?"

We just hope that little boy is okay.




No comments:

Post a Comment