Wednesday, January 22, 2014

New Normal

Friday December 27th, 2013, my husband took our 8 year old son to the pediatrician because my son had what I thought was strep throat. We got a prescription for amoxicillin they did the culture not the rapid strep test and when I came home from work and started amoxicillin he started throwing up. I took him to the ER early Saturday morning. They did a rapid strep test which was negative and a culture and decided that he had a stomach bug. They gave him Zofran at the hospital and it seemed to stop the vomiting. We went home and he seemed a little bit better. We gave him his next dose of Zofran in the afternoon and he threw it up immediately. We called the ER to see if we needed to give more they said no. He continued vomiting every hour after that. We called the ER again around dinnertime. They recommended we wait until his next dose at 8:30 to see how he did. We gave the dose at 8:30 and he only threw up once at 9:30. It seemed like it helped. At 10:30 or so he started this rapid breathing. I immediately was going to take him to the ER. My husband called the ER. They said to wait 10 minutes and see if it settled down. I didn't wait I took him in immediately. When we got to the ER they took him back right away. They started doing all kinds of tests and within 15 minutes they told me that he was diabetic and in something called diabetic ketoacidosis. We got moved to the ICU. We spent Saturday night and all day Sunday and Sunday night in the ICU. Monday evening we were moved to a regular room on the diabetes wing. We spent New Year's Eve in the hospital as he still was spilling ketones.  we got to go home New Year's Day.  He was diagnosed 25 days ago.  Since then we've dealt with highs where we needed him to drink more water and exercise or like last night take more insulin.  We've dealt with lows where he needed to eat immediately (even at 3 am).  We test at 10, midnight, and 3am.  We constantly check in to see how he's feeling.  Is the irritability because of glucose levels or because he's upset with his brother.  He's apologized for having diabetes.  We've compared his insulin (INsillion) to Iron Man's arc reactor.  We've read books.  He travels with his life saving kit and my heart is broken.  For his birthday on the 17th he got to have cake.  I hate cake now.  It is evil.  It messes up glucose for a long time!  And I'm a cake decorator for my profession.  My friends and family have been pretty supportive.  There are coworkers that don't understand and so many people think type 2 and type 1 are the same.  Type 1 is a completely different beast that scares me.  My husband has type 2.  Sugar Bear calls the blood glucose readings we have to take 6 to 10 times or more a day BS.  I agree.  This is BS.  No child should have to go through this.  No family should have to figure out a "new normal" of needles and life and death decisions daily.  I want a cure.  Insulin (INsillion) is not a cure.  






4 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing this journey. I am so sorry that your family has to go through this.

    Love and ((hugs)) for you all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love you sweetheart! Let's do a JDRF walk this summer (there is one at King's Island on June 7th!) and work toward a CURE!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I want to put together a team! Definitely. I hate this disease!

    ReplyDelete