Wednesday, July 9, 2014

Diabetes Sucks!

Just a little over 6 months. Since we left the hospital we've done: 755 shots of insulin,  1,476 blood sugar tests.   Half a year.  184 days + about a week.  Hmmm.  That's how long my baby has been fighting for control of this beast. And every day, every moment, every test is a fight.  Some are easily won and some are battles we have to win. Some days are easier; even some weeks, but right now...

We have a new activity to add to our diabetes experience list besides seizures now, it's called the high blood sugar shots in the middle of the night (midnight and 3am).  I'm hating it.  He's hating it.  We can't seem to get his blood sugar in range (ever since the ratio changes in response to the seizures).  Highest number we've seen in the last week: 336.  Lowest: 57  That averages to 187 for 7 days.  I'm so sick of the high numbers.  It makes Sugar Bear tired and irritable.  Also with every high number that shows up we hear "I swear I haven't been sneaking anything" which just breaks my heart.  It's not his fault.  It's not anyone's fault.  We called the endocrinologist again yesterday and changed the Lantus back to what it was but left the new ratios for corrections.  I still had to give a shot at midnight and 3am last night.  This sucks. I wanted to write more, but I just don't have it in me.  I'm saving my energy for this ongoing battle.  Diabetes sucks! 

2 comments:

  1. I wish there was something I could do to help! Know that I am committed to working with you in any way I can to strive for a CURE!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know and am very thankful! You are a great friend. Love!

    ReplyDelete