Sunday, August 17, 2014

Reflection

I have wanted to write and wanted to write since Monday but haven't known where to start.  I know it's been said in many different ways and so many places but Robin Williams' death effected me immensely.  I remember watching him on Mork and Mindy when I was just my Sugar Bear's age.  My younger brother and I would act out scenes from the show.  I had rainbow colored suspender's.  I grew up on Robin Williams.  He influenced my life with his shows and movies and comedy. In my own naieve way I loved him.   I married my own version of Robin Williams in my husband who is hairy and funny too.  Anyway, with all the loss we've had this year, Robin Williams suicide was the straw in many ways.  We took time this week to rewatch a kid appropriate favorite, Hook.  And then the constant barrage of information started happening on FB and Twitter about choice and suicide and depression.  It took me back to my teenage days.  After my parent's divorce.  I called the suicide hotline many times during high school on into college.  They saved my life.  In college I got counseling.  It helped too.  I still have bouts with depression but not as many in recent years.  It  lurks in the far corners of my mind.  It's the negative voice.  But I'm better.
My brother and I as children at Halloween.

Speaking of high school, the Teenager returned to school as a Freshman on Wednesday!  Where did the time go.  I do believe his high school experience will be better than mine was.  He does seem to stress himself out about grades and classes.  He was so nervous and excited.  A few more headaches again but better.
First Day of School
On His Way













Sugar Bear started having high BS about a week and a half ago.  We called the endo but got the automated machine and left the numbers.  We didn't hear back from them.  The numbers were much higher than we've dealt with.  Lot's of ketone testing this week too.  Luckily we didn't really
have those (just trace and small).  Finally called the endo on call on Thursday and it just happened to be our doc.  She said she never got the numbers!  It'd been about 3 days!  Uuggh.  Anyway, changed the evening dose, the insulin to carb ratios for all meals, and the bedtime corrections (now we start at 200 again).  So far it's a bit better.  He hasn't been as high, unfortunately he also hasn't been completely in range and we've dealt with some lows. One being today at 3pm (normal snack time) and he was 57 with no awareness of it. The worst low was the one that happened Friday night after visiting friends.  He was in range at midnight and I felt like I needed to check him at 2am instead of 3.  I'm glad I did; he was 62 and it took awhile to get him in range to sleep.  I didn't sleep much that night.  Of course I ended up reading about a drive-in in NJ where a teenage boy was kicked out due to the food he had in his kit. Food that keeps him from having a low while his family drives to that drive in.  Food that allows him and his family to feel normal.  To worry less.  Not only the incident but the comments completely disheartened me.  Of course that started me down the rabbit hole where I found out about type 1 adults that have been beaten by cops who thought a hypoglycemic episode was drunkenness or drugs.  Made me absolutely speechless. Made me nervous for what my son could experience in his life.  If it can happen to a former Mr. Universe at a movie theater with his family while he's headed to the concession stand because he knows he needs (not wants) some sugar to raise his blood glucose then it could happen to my son as a grown up.  I know what avenue I'd like to take my advocacy.  Education is badly needed!  

We did get to see Guardians of the Galaxy at the Drive In before school started.  And our type 1 was safe with his snacks!  Of course we visited the concession stand too for the rest of us. 

Our Fantastic Drive In

Yum!
Protein (helps stabilize blood sugar and typically has no carbs)





No comments:

Post a Comment